Saturday, June 9, 2012

It's My Blog Birthday!


Back in 2009 I started this blog. You can see the first post here. I didn't quit my job until March of 2010. I've now been a full time professional knitter for a little over 2 years. I have learned a lot during this time and had a good time doing it.

I've had several comments about the improvement in my writing skills. I didn't even know when I started the blog that I like to write!

I've spoken at a number of events, developed many hours of teaching material, taught more frequently and tested selling products and patterns at several events.

I collaborated with another designer on a plus size pattern collection that will be published soon. 

I established a professional group for knitters here in Toronto which has been a great deal of fun and has allowed me to learn about the business from an amazing group of knitters.  

The learning curve for a new business is huge. Am I making a living? Sadly no, not even close but I feel very fortunate to have some income from another source that allows me to work towards the possibility of earning my living this way in the future. Happy birthday to my life as a professional knitter!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Blog Birthday! I really enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You're inspiring and I've loved reading your blog over the last couple of years :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations for taking the plunge and trying to make a living at what you love. I read your blog regularly and find it very inspiring but also very sobering about the realities of trying to be a professional knitter. It only increases my admiration for all those amazing designers/spinners/dyers etc who work so hard for their craft and to enable the rest of us to enjoy it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blogiversary! I love your blog and enjoy reading about your evolution as a writer, and the discoveries you've made along the way.

    Your interviews are amazing. Thank you for putting so much work into your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Blog Birthday. As a friend who has watched this blossom from the beginning - congratulations and best wishes for many more! Wanda

    ReplyDelete