Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Knitting and Dementia



I've seen a few articles on this topic lately. It turns out that knitting is good for reducing memory loss. Now that the boomers are reaching retirement age and longevity is increasing, this is an area that researchers are studying much more. Since my Father suffered from dementia it is of great concern to me personally.  A spokeswoman for the  Alzheimer's Society was quoted as saying "One million people will develop dementia in the next 10 years so there is a desperate need to find ways to prevent dementia." Exercising and challenging your brain - by learning new skills, doing puzzles such as crosswords, and even learning a new language - can be fun.  In my case I've spent a lot of time in the past year upgrading my pattern writing skills so hopefully that will help my brain!

You can read the article here.

1 comment:

  1. i am 47 aand recently dxd with early onset parkinsons..at first i was avoiding knitting, my hands are so akward.. but my frieds said no no it will be good therapy.. and i agree its helping my brain too.. maybe i will not become one of the 30% who develope dementia.. my worse fear is that there will come a day before i die that i cannot knit.. i have been a frenzied knitter ever since i started back..i usually knit childrns clothes and mostly my own designs.. its like i feel like i have to knit a lifetime of things before its too late! thanks for this post

    ReplyDelete